At the sea, I'll wait on my knees

It is amazing how strikingly similar Americans are to the Church in Laodicea described in Revelation 3:14. In chapter 3, Jesus writes three letters to three different churches. When he gets to the church in Laodicea he tells them that he knows their deeds. He knows that they're neither hot nor cold; but rather that they're lukewarm. Though these Laodicea people want a little bit of God in their lives, they haven't fully committed to him. Then Jesus says, because you're lukewarm (being neither hot nor cold), I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

Here's the part that is scary similar to America. He says, "you say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind, and naked." That pretty much pegs Americans right there. It's like the rich man who came to Jesus asking him what he must do to receive eternal life. Jesus told him to obey the commandments. He had done that all his life. Then Jesus said, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." And when the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

Do you see the treasure? Are you like the man who found the treasure and couldn't contain himself. He went and sold everything he had to buy the field with the treasure in it? All of a sudden he didn't care about "stuff" anymore... And why would he after seeing the Creator of the World--The Almighty God? How can you see Him and then go back and say, "Hmm... Let me think about this... Do I really want to give up everything on this Earth for Him?"

This is the same God who has angels and elders bowing down to him for all of eternity and still not being able to give him the glory he deserves. This is the same God who spoke the whole universe into existence, and came to earth as a man. And you're going to trade all that for "stuff" here on earth for a couple years? You're going to trade all that for comfort here on earth? And the Lord looks down at you, a miniscule speck on a piece of dirt and says, "that makes me sick." He wants to spit you out of his mouth. If you have truly seen and believed, it's not even a comparison. It's not even close... AT ALL!

This is the greatest tragedy in our world. Many "Christians" are not on fire for God--they know it and won't do anything about it. They'll hear words like this and walk away exactly the same. Do you live without a care for this world? Are you so focused on the Lord that you don't even care about this world and it's stuff? Because if you've seen the Treasure, there shouldn't be anything holding you back from being a blazing fire for God. The treasure changes everything.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Nate,
    Just want you to know that you did an awesome job yesterday. I hope that you feel better soon. And I also wanted you to know that I still check you blog and am excited for you to post again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Nate! I have been thinking a lot about that and it makes me sad to not only see our country losing the vision, but sometimes myself. I often lose sight of that priceless gem. Thanks for the encouragement.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete