The Sand is Running Out

I don't have much time left on this earth. I'm starting to really consider how I want to use that time. The only thing I know is that I have to hear "well done..." when I stand before the Lord. In order to hear that, I must believe. Unfortunately, the American church has taken one or two verses in scripture to make it sound like you can pray a prayer and hear "well done..." If you read the whole bible, however, you'll see fairly clearly that what you're believing is that Jesus Christ is worth trading in your whole life for.

Your judgment isn't based on having correct thoughts about Jesus and God. What is it based on then? I think the whole theme of the New Testament is pretty clear about this. No verse is clearer than Matthew 25:34-35.

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?' And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'"


Do you believe that Christ is worth trading in your whole life for? Imagine you've read the bible on an island your whole life -- what would you think was required of you as a "believer"? You'd understand what few in churches today do: that you must give up your life, sell everything you have, take up your cross... Trade in your life.

Not only is your final judgment based on this, but your blessing now is based on this. I'm not talking about being blessed with "the good life" (I think it's a molestation of the gospel when we say that the Lord blessed us with a huge house, nice car, great income, and then we live the safe life. The Lord isn't blessing you with those things--he's trying to see if you're going to chose Him over all your junk... and you're failing the test.) I'm talking about being blessed by getting to live everyday waiting to see how the Lord is going to provide and lead you. You get to live every day waking up and going to bed saying, "Wow... there better be a heaven. If not, then I am living the stupidest life imaginable." It is so beautiful and I don't want to live any other way.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this. We all need to be reminded at times in America, land of abundance. Affirmation to refocus!

    ReplyDelete