I Don't Need God For That


Does you life look like you rely on God?

It struck me the other day that I cannot even pray as Jesus instructed people to pray. Part of the famous "Lord's Prayer" has become outdated. I'm referring to the line:

"Give us this day our daily bread..."

We have so set up our lives to not rely on God that this verse just seems unnecessary to us now. Maybe in a time when we didn't have as much money or when resources weren't as widely accessible as they are now this prayer might have been necessary -- but there just isn't a great need for it now.

Do you see what has happened? Do you see what we've done? Slowly, over time, we have written God out of His own story.

Since the beginning of time, this whole thing has been about God. He is the center of it all. He is the star of the show.

We have slowly setup our lives to not need God. We have forgotten about him.

In just a short time the Lord will either come back, or we'll die. We don't really have that long. At that moment, all that will matter is Him. Yet when was the last time we thought about that moment? When was the last time you longed for the Lord to come back?

2 Peter 3:10 says,

"But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up and dissolved, and the earth and the works that are done on it will be exposed. Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of people ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness, waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God."

God is looking for people who are waiting for that day. God is looking for people who know they need him.

Do you need him? I mean, does you life look like you're relying on him?

To be honest, I don't know how to end this discussion. I don't want you to end you life focused on yourself. I don't want you to end your life forgetting about God. More importantly, I want you to spend your life needing God.

I don't know what it is for you that keeps you from needing God. Maybe you spend too much time working, hanging out with friends, playing games, planning your future, reading books, etc. I don't know. I just know that in a few short years the things around you will be gone and all that will matter is how you spent your time.

Do you spend your life needing God or not needing him?

2 comments:

  1. I spend my life needing God for sure.

    I don't know what else to say except amen. Thank you for the reminder, I needed that tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank your for your encouraging posts and for just being real. How many days go by that we don't even acknowledge the presence of God...it makes me sick to know that I don't do that and that i don't wake up each day saying "God i need you in this day" because I do. John 15:5 comes to mind.."I am the vine you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for APART from me you can do NOTHING." We are in constant need of Him, and he is always right there already knowing what we need! good word Nate! love you brother.

    ReplyDelete